Skip to main content

I Sit With The Afternoon Thoughts of an Old Poet.

 

I sit with the afternoon thoughts of an old poet.

I am no longer a young poet.

If you’re not a young poet, you’re an old poet.

Whoever heard of a middle-age poet? 

Middle-age is something invented

By people who don’t know how to

Grow old.

 

To be old is to have the power of insight

That having seen it all before

Gives to the imagination of tomorrows

Not yet known.

 

To be old is to be there for those

Who do not have enough yesterdays

To know the difference between wisdom, dreams,

Reality, hopes, and fears—There isn’t any.

 

I recall now the old ones—many now dead,

Who held my hand, or touched my shoulder,

Or winked, or laughed at just the right moment

To catch my youthful eye and make me pause—

Or I might have gone over the edge.

 

The wisdom of age comes not

From the power and drive of youth

Creating life and building worlds.

 

The wisdom of age comes

From those moments

When you pause

 

Overwhelmed by the immensity

Of a universe of which you

Are a part.


It’s just like it was then.



 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Tea

The time honored tradition of English tea, So unlike American morning coffee, Always in a mug—to start the day.   English tea is in the afternoon— More like the Japanese tea ceremony To give a ritual presence to life.   The saucer so important to balance the cup. Americans find the saucer a nuisance. It’s what is in the cup that matters.   Even the English drink coffee in the morning, American tea is at lunch—and iced— Ritual presence not forgotten—just ignored   Americans drink tea in mugs. Mugs don’t need saucers.  

Pick Up Truck

Decades ago riding, in the back of a pick-up truck, My good buddy Rick and I were talking philosophy, Truth and Counter-truth I told him—waddya mean? Life is both real and an illusion--particle-wave duality We are flesh and we are spirit—50 years later, my flesh Has lower back pain and sciatica but the spirit still loves Riding in the back of pick-up trucks—which is now illegal

Buddha Socks

Buddha Socks Days do not number The miss-steps of my soul’s journey Years and decades of seeking and searching Lost and looking—occasionally knowing Only for a moment with certainty Before the trance of daily life and doing the laundry Overshadow insights that would unlock The mystery of socks tumbling in the dryer Socks don’t know emotions— They just know our feet. They wrap our heels and toes unconditionally Paying no attention to the emotions of the moment The funeral, the wedding, another day at work— The socks are just there for us After a day of being very human We take them off and toss them into the laundry Perhaps socks Are the Buddha (I don’t know the original dates on this.   It is actually two separate poems which I found in old journals and merged into one poem   I luv it…)